The majority of ant species reside in large nests with members who actively search for local sources of food. Ants have a durable exterior that protects them and a small body that allows them to navigate through small spaces. While some species of ants will bite, the majority of those found inside homes are considered nuisance pests. Ants commonly invade local homes; therefore, residents often seek pest control in Long Island to eradicate these pests. Professional pest exterminators undergo significant training regarding ant control solutions, such as strategies involving how to repel ants.
Characteristics Of Common Home-Invading Ants
Many different species of ants will invade Long Island-area homes, including pavement ants, odorous house ants, and carpenter ants.
- Pavement ants have a small brown or black body that measures roughly 1/8 of an inch. Pavement ants commonly form nests beneath sidewalks and driveways and travel in paths or trails seeking food.
- Although their small bodies rarely reach 1/8 of an inch in length, odorous house ants form very large colonies with thousands of others. Odorous house ants emit a foul odor when you crush them, hence their name.
- Carpenter ants appear brown or black with a typical body length of less than ¼ of an inch. Carpenter ants may create property damage as they burrow through wooden structures. Unlike termites that consume wood, carpenter ants simply tunnel through to build nesting sites.
All The Problems Ants In Your Home Can Create
One of the key problems with ants is that after a few of them discover a food source in a home, many others soon follow in droves. How do ants find food so fast and alert others? Ants generate chemicals called pheromones that others can detect and represent a means of communication or a signal that they have found food.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your House
One of the most important practices for how to get rid of ant infestations involves thoroughly cleaning any indoor areas exposed to ants. After removing ants and any food sources that they discover, use soap and water or other agents to clean all surfaces. You have to clean to completely remove the aforementioned pheromone chemical trail that might exist.
Five No-Sweat Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations
Property owners must recognize that maintaining the premises using preventative measures and responding properly when any minor intrusions occur will effectively limit the likelihood of a major infestation. Some of the best options for preventing ants include:
- Limit access to food by swiftly placing leftovers in sealed containers and never leaving dirty dishes out overnight.
- Properly manage trash containing food scraps by ensuring kitchen area receptacles have tight-fitting lids.
- Avoid attracting ants to outdoor areas near the premises by removing fallen fruit, cleaning up thoroughly after cookouts, and not placing pet food bowls on patios or decks.
- Adopt good cleaning practices by regularly sweeping up crumbs and wiping down sinks and countertops.
- Implement measures that reduce points of entry by placing sweeps on exterior doors and applying weatherstripping that seals any gaps.
Did you know that the licensed professionals with Ultimate Pest Control have spent many years assisting residential, commercial, and institutional customers struggling with pest-related problems in this region? Our experts will safely and completely eradicate rodents, cockroaches, termites, and other undesirable pests entering the premises and posing health risks.
When you contact Ultimate Pest Control, a qualified technician will visit the property and conduct a meticulous inspection of the premises. Our specialist will explain the best available treatment options. We look forward to hearing from you.
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation quote